You are hereHome >
Health Insurance Tips
WE CAN HELP — Our health care experts are working to provide you with the resources you need to make the most of new health care consumer protections and tools.
Get The Best Deal On Health Insurance
Looking for health coverage? The Health Insurance Marketplace could save you time and money.
1. Check out options at the Health Insurance Marketplace. The plans include coverage for doctor visits, hospitalizations, maternity care, emergency room care, prescriptions and more.
Toll free: (800)318-2596 TTY: (855) 889-4325
2. Find out about financial help that’s available. At the Health Insurance Marketplace, you can find out if you qualify for financial assistance to lower your costs.
3. Use the Health Insurance Marketplace to compare plans side-by-side. The new marketplace lists your options on one website, and shows what each plan covers.
4. Take advantage of expert help in-person, online, or by phone. Specially trained people are available in communities across the country to help you apply and understand your options. Find them at LocalHelp.healthcare.gov.
5. Don’t take no for an answer. For coverage starting January 2014, insurance companies can no longer deny you due to a pre-existing condition.
6. Keep in touch. Check for updates on our website, and tell us about your experience. We want to hear what you think so we can spot trends and advocate for ongoing improvements. Contact us.
HEALTH CARE CONSUMER PROTECTIONS
If you have coverage, you already have protections under the health care law, such as:
- Children and young adults can stay on their parents’ plan until age 26
- Free preventive care, including check-ups and vaccinations
- Insurance companies can’t set a lifetime cap on what they’ll pay if you get sick
- Rebates if your insurance company spends less than 80% of premiums on care
Plus, new protections for coverage effective January 1, 2014 include:
- Insurers can’t deny anyone coverage for having a “pre-existing condition”
- No more annual caps on what your insurer will pay if you get sick
- Insurance companies can’t charge women more than men for coverage
Tools & Resources
Tell your elected officials: Please protect my right to know, and support GMO labeling.
Your donation supports U.S. PIRG’s work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.
Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.